As sure as I always knew I wanted to be a mother, I also always knew that I wanted to have a girl. Sure I would like to have boys too, but there's just something about frills and bows and pretend tea parties that don't transfer well to boys.
And anyone that knows me at all knows that I am a girly girl. No, I don't dress to the nines all the time and I can be pretty loud and boisterous in the right setting, but otherwise I love all things pink and pretty.
Having not given any of my DNA to my daughter, I wondered before I got her and even sometimes after if she would be anything like me at all. I wondered if we would bond while playing Barbies and enjoy facials and cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off while discussing the latest fashion trend.
And although she has always adored playing dress up (she calls it "Getting Married") and LOVES shoes of all kinds, Raylen's fate as a girly girl in my head wasn't sealed until this evening. While I was packing up the guest room, we came across a floral tiara with ribbon streamers I once wore at a Renaissance festival, a pair of pearl buttoned elbow length gloves and the cherry on top, the wood and leather platform shoes my Granny gave me to wear for dress up when I was just a little older than Ray. Of course she wanted to try everything on and the picture above shoes how happy she was to play in them. I wish I could show you too, the smile on my face knowing that our journey together as girly girls is just beginning and how blessed I am to have Raylen in my life.

No comments:
Post a Comment