Friday, October 31, 2008

Be beautiful inside with the lasting charm of a gentle and quiet spirit which is so precious to God. 1 Peter 3:4

The title verse is one my favorites and one I memorized early on as a teenager. It has become a prayer for me over my daughter as she grows into a young woman...here's an example of why.

One of the things that I am learning about myself as I grow as a parent is what character traits are important to me. Growing a four year old in 2008 is difficult. We are surrounded by Britney Spears and Gossip Girl, up to our ears in a self indulgent society and the loudest voices we can hear are the ones telling us that thin and pretty are the only things that matter. I am learning more and more that my job as a mother is to instill virtues of the heart in my daughter, not the appetite for fleeting earthly treasures. I am amazed everyday at the genuinely gracious and loving heart that flows from her. She doesn't see size, color, beauty as distinguishing qualities in anyone...she loves all people and wants to be close to everyone. Still, when I blow dry her hair in the mirror she likes to admire herself and say how pretty she is. This was put to an end recently when I realized, that although harmless enough, a four year old admiring herself turns into a sixteen year old completely involved in herself and her looks. She is learning that it is okay to admire the beauty that God has given us, but instead of praising ourselves for it, we must praise He that made us in His beautiful image. It has been a sweet time to hear her, now on her own, say to God, "Thank you God for making my hair and teeth and for making everything." I pray that this heart in her continues to grow. I don't wish that she be popular with boys or other girls. I don't want her to be a cheerleader or be the next American Idol. If anyone says to me ever that they can see a true and pure spirit in her heart and recognize a true love of others within her, then I will know I have done the job God has given me to do as her mother. It is an arduous task in this day and age, but one I am willing to dedicate my life to.

No comments: