Sunday, October 19, 2008

In Addendum

I wrote the previous post this morning before I went to church and since coming home, I realized that I didn't share the whole story....an important part.

Because Daddy died in October, the streets in our neighborhood were already filled with the usual Halloween decorations when we made our way home from the funeral that day. In our family, my parents had long since felt the conviction to not have our family participate in Halloween celebrations. We used to trick or treat when we were kids, but God had spoke to them clearly when we were still young that Halloween was not a holiday that was honoring to Him and so we quit trick or treating and did not involve ourselves with any part of the day other than dressing in theme for the church's fall festivals each year. Because of this lifestyle choice, I had become accustomed to ignoring the witches and ghosts hanging on the doors and in the trees of homes during the month and not giving the whole holiday much thought. But something struck me about Halloween the day that we turned onto our street after my dad's funeral. On the lawn of the corner house there was more than just the usual witches and ghosts-there were about five lifesize replicas of caskets standing on end with the doors half open and several tombstones scattered around the yard. I remember gasping when I saw them even though I had seen them everyday before and paid no attention. Having just come from the real life scene of watching pallbearers close and seal the casket on the body of my own daddy and living that enormous pain, how could anyone use death as fun and games or make light of it as to celebrate it? I understood in that moment a new conviction for myself about Halloween and also something about the heart of my Saviour. First, for me, death is horrific and awful and to particpate in any kind of holiday that holds death in high esteem is out of the question for me. I made a commitment that day to follow that conviction that still guides us even now with our daughter. Second, I heard clearly the voice of the Lord say to me that day that He is as sad, angry, mad, etc at death as I am. He never created death. He created us to live eternally with Him in the joy of relationship with each other and Him. But, we who chose and still choose sin over Him made death a reality and so when we grieve, He grieves too. The amazing thing is that God wasn't satisfied to leave us in our sin and ultimate death. Like everything He does, God chose to take our mistakes and grave situation and turn it into an opportunity for us to trust Him to overcome in our circumstance. My Saviour, my Jesus, who knew NO sin, willingly endured the pain and wickedness of death He did not create, so that death would have no victory over my life or any other. There is no celebration in death-only celebration in the victory that Jesus won over death when He rose from that death bed and shattered the hold that death had over us. Now, in light of this victory, we have the opportunity to choose life eternally again, something that was lost in our sin. My dad made that choice-to trust Jesus as his saviour and because I have made that choice as well, I know that I will see him again and LIVE for eternity because death is now just a bridge, not and eternal sentence.

I realized I needed to share this story today when we sang Overcame in church. I've printed the words below and included the video as well. Jesus did overcome for us...in death especially, but He is still overcoming in our daily circumstance. No problem, no fear, no relationship is too far gone that God will not overcome for you if you submit your will to Him and trust that He will.




Seated above, enthroned in the Father's love
Destined to die, poured out for all mankind
God's only son perfect and spotless one
He never sinned, but suffered as if he did

All authority, every victo-ry is Yours
All authority, every victory is Yours

Savior, worthy of honor and glory, worthy of all our praise, You overcame
Jesus, awesome in power forever, awesome and great is Your name, You overcame

Power in hand speaking the Father's plan
You're sending us out, light in this broken land

We will overcome by the blood of the Lamb
And the word of our testimony, everyone overcome

No comments: